"Find out what it means to me!"
Aretha Franklin's "Respect" was her first number one hit and the single that established her as the Queen of Soul. In short, Aretha said if you want Respect, you have to earn it.
In this week's Chasing Excellence, my mentor and partner for 20+ years, Peter Norden, joins me to talk about what Chasing Excellence means to him. And you guessed it, Peter's definition has a lot to do with R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
This week on Chasing Excellence, Rick Floyd takes us to the 2014 Mastermind Summit in Las Vegas. For the third year in a row this Mortgage Executive Magazine event focuses on the tools needed to break through to the next level of your career.
Mastermind keynote speaker Barry Habib joins Rick to discuss the key factors in chasing excellence. Barry is the CEO of MBS Highway and a frequent media resource for his mortgage and housing insight. He has had a long tenure with monthly appearances for CNBC and FOX.
Have a productive week!
This week I had the pleasure of attending MasterMind 2013 in Las Vegas. It was amazing to see more than 2,500 mortgage professionals truly passionate about building or simply re-energizing their business. Attendees shared a hunger to be better, a desire to do more and a drive to make it happen. In short, attendees were Chasing Excellence.
I wanted to take a few minutes to share some of my takeaways from the event:
- Frank Garay and Brian Stevens spoke on commitment. Having a focus, a task, a vision and seeing it through. Commitment.
- Barry Habib spoke on perseverance. We may get knocked down, but we won’t get knocked out. Perseverance.
- Greg Frost, the mortgage industry’s first billion-dollar originator, spoke on being an authority. Being an authority is better than being in authority. Delivering messages of value works every time. Authority.
- Rick Ruby, a national coach for top lenders and realtors, challenged us to have a list of five income-producing goals each day. Write them down and cross them off. Goals.
- And the highlight of the event was three hours with the incomparable Tony Robbins. I could write a book on all of my takeaways from Tony, but this point really stuck out: success is 80% psychology and 20% strategy. Mindset, beliefs and emotion outweigh the specific steps needed to accomplish the result. Psychology.
One REMN Loan Originator that attended the event said, “I wish we could bottle this stuff up and take a sip of it every day so that we can carry the enthusiasm forward.” I think this is a great point. No matter your industry, consider attending two or three events like this year to help you stay focused, stay motivated and continue on your quest to Chase Excellence.
Also, one Chasing Excellence programming note. Many of you have provided great feedback on my weekly videos. One piece of advice that I continue to hear is that I should send the videos out earlier in the week. So, starting next week Chasing Excellence will go out every Tuesday.
Thanks for your support and interest! Have a great weekend!
I’m headed to Las Vegas this week for MasterMind 2013. Will you be there too? If so, I’d love to see you!
I’ve gathered a number of industry experts, including Frank Garay and Brian Stevens from the National Real Estate Post, Dave Savage from the Mortgage Coach and Barry Habib from MBS Highway, for a special pre-MasterMind event. If you’re free, please join us Tuesday, June 4 at 2 p.m. in the Madison Ballroom of the Palms Hotel.
I’m also excited to be a panelist on MasterMind’s Power Lunch / Executive Roundtable Thursday, June 6 from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Participate in this session for industry insight from a diverse panel, and stop by to say hello after!